Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Kenton talks in Fort William
The Fort William film festival is the 2nd largest festival of its type in the UK and it was an honour to speak there at the weekend. Despite, or maybe due to the minging conditions, (reminding me why I moved to Chamonix), there was a good turn out for the last evening of the festival.
Its was hosted by the uber climber Dave McCloud, who did a great job so I must say thanks to him. First Matt Dickinson spoke about his experience in 96 about Everest, this was a pretty insightful talk from the point of view of a client and set up nicely for me after the break.
I delivered a 50min talk about the modern face of Everest and about how and why commercial teams are right for such mountains. It was a pretty controversial subject and I knew there would be some stiff questions after, and I wasn’t let down. After a slow start questions started pouring in. The crowd knew their stuff and there were some probing questions aimed mainly at me but also Matt. It was a lively debate that had to be cut short in the end by Dave.
Afterwards I had the chance to catch up with some old pals I hadn’t seen in ages (thanks for coming Guys), which rounded off a great evening.
The following morning proved to be much better than the Saturday and Jazz and I stopped in Glen Coe for a short wee walk on the way back to the airport, although this was cut short by rain. It was a cool finish to a great 48hrs in Fort William.
I’d like to thank all those who made a great effort to turn up on the Sat Eve and also for those who put time and effort into organising the whole week, well done guys.
Thanks
Kenton