Friday, April 04, 2008
Arrival in Kathmandu
It’s finally started. After months of planning and more than a little worry due to permit issues the Dream Guides Everest Team has arrived in Kathmandu. Rob Casserley flew ahead of the main party on Sat and is in the Khumbu as we speak, meanwhile Liz and Dave flew two days ago and were here to greet us. Ran and I left Gatwick Tues morning and arrived about an hour late at 9.20am local time on Thurs 3rd.
It was a little tearful leaving behind my lovely girl at Clapham station, especially after the special weekend we had just had together. I had 3 rather large heavy bags and getting around with this was hard work to say the least and I arrived rather relieved at check in and therefore able to get rid of them. Phil from ITN was there filming Ran checking in and then did the same with me while I haggled the excess cost down to a reasonable amount. A HUGE thanks to Daniela from Italy who helped us out on that one.
My attempted blag for an upgrade failed even with Sir Ran with me, but we did get to use the lounges at Gatwick, which was better than nothing. The flights across were fine and I met a couple of the Guys who are walking in with us at Doha, before the 2nd leg of the flight. As ever Qatar Airways were great, the only hiccup was a delay at Kathmandu when we couldn’t land due to fog, we spent about an hour going round in circles before finally touching down.
Kathmandu is a pleasant temp right now and I’m writing this from the wee terrace by the pool. Its not all going to be fun though, as I have meetings to go to and need to sort out all my kit that is in storage here, and that’s just today.
Anyway for the time being we are here and the adventure has officially begun.
Stay cool
Kenton