April 17th
I awake at about 6pm, at first I'm clueless where I am. The yellow of the tent fabric is alien to me and then it falls into place……. camp 1, Everest. I can hear Greg and Omar in the next door tent chatting as I light the stove to make dinner. This evening it's a pasta meal with a tomato sauce, heated in their packets in a pan of hot water, its surprisingly tasting. I wash this down with a mug of hot choc, and a chapter of my book.
The night is long and disturbed. The wind picks up in the late eve and it blows all night. A few times I fear that the tent may blow away with me in it. I pray that its still in the morning for our trek to camp 2. I wake numerous times and lie in the cold listening to the wind dreaming about home and sunnier times. Finally night as always comes to and end, I spark the stove into life to make tea. Again I struggle in the cold getting dressed, the only difference this time is that fact I throw my tea up in the tent porch.
We trek in the cold air towards camp 2, this year it's a mellow walk over a few ladders. The track zig zags back and forth as it slowly pushes into the cwm. Greg and I cross the last of the ladders and we can see camp 2 in the distance. We turn round here and almost zoom back to camp 1.
After yesterday we are all concerned about getting fried in the icefall as we return to BC. We pack up our things at camp 1 and start the descent to BC. Passing under the seracs again Greg mutters about how unsafe it seems. Minutes later an ice cliff collapses we look in disbelief. Omar Ben and Torri are behind us and possibly laying broken in the ice blocks, Greg brakes the silence "the radio, try the radio". The crackled return is a shocked but safe Ben, all are ok and no-one was hurt. It presses home how dangerous the icefall can be, she seems beautiful, quite and serene yet she has a deadly side, one that can kill in an instant with out care or remorse.
The rest of the descent is with out problem, we are passed by a few Sherpas returning from their days load carrying and we exchange a few greetings with those we know. The panicles prove to be the crux, they seem to go on forever. BC is so close yet we are teased on ever rise as yet another icy obstacle presents itself. On and on they seem to go until we pop out and crampons are finally removed and BC is finally gained. The late afternoon is spent watching a movie on one of the laptops. Top Gun is a firm hit, and we are all quoting cheesy one liners for the rest of the night.
Its another rest day today (18th April) and the day is looking beautiful. The team is in fine form and we are all looking fwd to the Puja (expedition blessing by a lama) which takes place tomorrow.
Have Fun
Kenton
# end
--
Kenton Cool
IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.dream-guides.com