Monday, April 09, 2007
Latest Everest Update by Kenton
EVEREST BLOG
April 5th ARRIVE KATHMANDU
The flight landed on time and I stepped off into the early morning heat of Nepal. The bags came through quickly and customs was easy, Rob (Cassily) and I wheeled the trolleys out the airport into the tussle of taxi drivers and hawkers.
The rest of the day was spent sorting out equipment and catching up on sleep before meeting old friends for dinner in Kilroys. The eve was finished off with a nasty cocktail in the Maya Bar with Ted Atkins (Top Out O2 fame) before a much needed good nights sleep.
April 6th KATHMANDU
Waking later than I hoped and not feeling very refreshed I looked at the ‘to do list’. It was as long as the day before, depressing. First was a meeting with Liz Hawley’s assistant Billie over a much needed coffee and breakfast of fruit. (These meetings always happen so that Liz can collect all the information about climbing on the hill peaks of Nepal). Thus followed a much needed haircut and lunch.
The afternoon which stretches before me now will be a mad panic trying to find all the small bits that I left at home before my flight tomorrow to Lukla and the start of the trek.
EVEREST BLOG 8th April
Arrived in Namche today after 2 days of walking. The flight to Lulka from Kathmandu was as ever very exciting with the small plane being tossed around by thermals. After 40mins we seemed to plunge out of the cloud and hit the tarmac (very hard). The runway is steeply angled which helps the planes stop before hitting a huge wall at the end of the runway. There were some very green people getting off that flight.
The trek to Monjo was a joy, taking about 4.5 hrs in overcast skys and great temps. The last half hour was a sprint to avoid a thunder storm which brought heavy rain as we got to the tea house. The eve was spent tucking into some great local food and losing (for me at least) at cards with some of the porters.
Today we walked the short but steep path to Namche. This is the main village of the Khumbu and is a bussling trading place. Here I bumped into Ueli Steck another Mountain Hardwear boy who I will trek with up the valley tomorrow. Other friends are here as well and it was a pleasent lunch catching up on everyones news from the last year.
Namche is the last real 'town' and after here the villages become smaller with no more internet or phones so the next update will be from Base camp its self. I'm hoping to get there in afew days so stay posted. Look out for photos next time when I get the lead back for my camera (I packed it in my bag that goes straight to BC by mistake!!!).
Ok Guys thats it for now so stay cool
Kenton