Sunday, March 23, 2008

Even better than the real thing!!!

There were hardly any folk at the midi lift this morning. Matt and I got there at 8.15 only to be told that it wasn’t going to open till 9am. After the snow yesterday and the fact that the Midi lift didn’t run meant that the wait was an easy decision. Jon and Simon also joined us again for the day, and Jon had very kindly lent me his Black Diamond Verdict’s for the day. If one thing was sure it was that a fat ski was going to be needed for today. The arête was in good nick and we were soon popping into bindings and wondering what to ski. With so few folk it wasn’t going to be an issue, we decided on a Grand Envers for starters. The traverse across was surprisingly hard under foot but we were soon looking into the first pitch that looked very very good. I dropped in but was surprised to hit stuff under the surface, breaking right I found better snow and after a few turns I found rhythm and snow. After a wee mistake that put us slightly too low and therefore a side step back to the right spot (opps) we were above the main pitch. Remy Lecluse had caught us up at this point, (the uber French Guide/Skier) and was a little nervous about the snow. He dropped the slope first assessing conditions before he waved us on. My GOD it was SSSSOOOOooooo DDDDEEEEEEEPPPPP. Simon took a tumble and lost a ski, luckily he found it pretty quickly even in snow that deep, and we pressed on. The next few minutes provided nice snow and easy angle slopes. The extra width on the Verdicts was very noticeable and I was simply floating downhill, it was so cool. Probably the best section was just above the exit gullies where wide open slopes and less risk of any crevasses meant we could all let rip. Was it the best pitch I’ve ever skied??? It must be a contender. I put in huge GS turns as I blasted down, the snow was way over my head on every turn, it was totally unreal!! Matt and I put in a couple of huge pitches in untracked snow that finally put us out onto the Mer De Glace and a well-earned breather. Here we caught up to Remy who was grinning all over. We chatted about what to do after lunch and watched Simon and Jon take a slightly different couloir down, we could hear them whooping with joy on every single turn. The flat of the Mer De Glace was a pain and the snow was heavy but we poled our way down until we picked up speed again. I was thinking of the next run and was in my own dream world when… BLAM I hit a rock and cart wheeled. Moments later Matt did the same; only he cracked his head on his ski tip, carving a hole in the crown of his head. There was blood everywhere. I got his skis off and turned him so I could get a good look. Blood was oozing everywhere, the hole was big but luckily his head is pretty thick, and his eyes told it all. Matt is a trooper and despite concerns of some of the others I could tell the boy was ok. He dropped me a little wink before he skied off, his headband replaced by a bandage that made him look like the Easter bunny. Like a said a true trooper. We weren’t too far from the boot up to the bond run and thus down to Cham. So it wasn’t long until we were walking through town getting funny looks with blood all over Matts face. As I write he is getting it patched up in Cham Hospital, I reckon 5 stitches but we’ll have to see. Totally EPIC day in even better snow than yesterday, but there is a moral. If Matt had his helmet on, his rather thick head would be intact, he was lucky this time. If you haven’t got one then suck it up and buy one today, they start from about 70€, not much for your life is it. Take care out there and enjoy Kenton