Monday, July 07, 2008

Swiss Alpine fun

The summer continues with another great week of guiding. I (Kenton) spent the week in Grindelwald with Phillip Amadeus. The forecast for the week was good and I was looking forward to my first week of work in Switzerland this year. The first couple of days were spent up at the Gleckstein hut under the Wetterhorn (3691m). This must be one of the nicest huts I have stayed in with amazing views of the valley and we had a great time there. We didn’t make the summit this time but I have a feeling that I’ll be back later this summer for a 2nd round. I spent Tuesday evening with a good friend of mine Ueli Steck (who holds the speed record for the N Face of the Eiger) who lives in Interlaken and we had a good Italian meal together (and a couple of beers) It was a great to catch up with him and a lovely way to round off a good couple of days. Wednesday was spent rock climbing on one of the many amazing limestone cliffs that over looks the valley. We had to drive about 20km up a farm road before a 40min walk took us to a beautiful crag with stunning views across to the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau. Here we climbed a number of routes and Philip put in a great effort having not rock climbed for a number of years. It was almost 8pm by the time we got back to the town, which is always a sign of a good day out!! Thursday was pretty poor weather but we managed the train ride and walk to the Monchjoch hut where we were in position to climb the Monch the next day. The final day of the week was spent in stunning weather on the Monch. This we climbed in good time and it was barely 10am when we both stood on top having had a great climb up. The descent was smooth and it wasn’t too long before we were back in Grindelwald. A huge thank you to Phillip for the company all week and making it one of the best weeks of guiding I have ever done (and there have been a few good ones). The week coming up sees me in London for a couple of days before Gavin and Alison are out for few days of fun around Chamonix. Photos from the top 1) Waterfall on way to Gleckstein hut 2) Morning view from Monchjoch hut 3) Snowed up rock on Monch 4) Snow ridge 5) Summit at last with Phillip