
Its widely known that I’m not really into bouldering, but I’m trying to get fit for rock climbing again and we all know that bouldering is one of the best ways to get stronger and therefore climb harder routes (which I am into).
So where to boulder in Chamonix area?.. well there is Col Du Montet but I’ve never been into that venue so with a little research I decided to check out Medonnet, which is situated on the hillside above the Arve valley. The team was Matt Dickinson, Jon and Karoline Bracey, Jess the dog and Seb Montaz turned up a little later.
The venue is a collection of granite boulders in a beautiful wooded area with good landings and a spread of grades from 2 to 8a. I was taken with the place as soon as we got there, and threw myself at the problems. We moved from boulder to boulder and each contained a little gem. The rock is pretty harsh on the finger tips so the sessions have to be short and sharp.

When Seb turned up we got out a slack line and set it up between a couple of trees. Much fun was had for and hour or so before we went back on the rock for a final fling. We found a cool traverse that was really under cut and boy did we get close to getting it done, I fell off the very last move which really sucked. I tried once more but there was nothing left in the arms and the finger tips were on fire, still I suppose its a project for the next vist.
Its a great little place and is nicely sheltered and definitely got me excited about bouldering once again.
I’m back to the UK on Wednesday for a Whiskey Promo in London. Check it out at www.monkeyshoulder.com its going to be great fun so get along if possible.
Then the weekend is the Kendal Film Festival where I’m talking on Sat at 2pm and again on Sunday at 11am with Dug Scott and Reinhold Messner. What a line up!! Tickets still available.
That's it for now Guys
Kenton.