
Photos From the Top Nick Battling the first pitch
BOTTOM The line takes the only streak that touches down....SCARY!!!
First day out on Ice is always a bit strange, but nothing quite prepared me for the day we had above my house here at Mont Saxonnex. Nick Bullock as ever was gunning for the hardest looking thing at the crag and boy did it give us a good day out.
The crag is pretty low so the ice formations where thin and delicate. The first pitch was a groovy mixed number that was protected by a mix of bolts and tied off stubby ice screws that I wouldn’t hang my jacket on. I was battling with the onset of Flu so I was happy to let the Ice Warrior Bullock take the sharp end and he clearly loved it.
Pitch two looked improbable to say the least but Nick crawled off right with the words “I’ll just have a look”. When he next appeared he was looking worried and the ice was sounding pretty hollow. Any doubt he had was dispensed with after I reminded him that he was “THE Nick Bullock” The pitch was full on, 40m of unrelenting steep thin hollow ice, I was scared following let alone on the lead. Great effort from the old man.
Pitch 3 had a steep pillar start but kicked back onto a honeycomb slab, which was exciting. All in all it was a great start to the season that certainly got the arms fully pumped. The walk back to the car was hard as the flu kicked in with a vengeance but the route was in the bag thanks to that man Bullock.
Stay posted for more winter fun
KC