
Photos from the Top
1) AP and Myself
2) AP chowing lunch with the Col Du Colombia coming out his right ear
3) AP going for it on ice for the first time
4) The trees that got me thinking
Sometimes days are strange, they start one way and end up very very different. I woke this morning with what can only be described as a form of depression. I felt a crushing weight on me in the form of worry. It was about my mortgage, my new home in France and all the work that needs doing, the fact I don’t seem to have that much work on, my lack of savings, the exchange rate and all those sorts of things that make up everyday life. I also had to drive my wonderful wife to the airport so she could fly back to the UK to work and we would be apart again. It wasn’t so much a case of getting out of bed on the wrong side more like falling out of the bloody thing.
The drive to the airport was depressing, the airport was depressing and saying goodbye to Jazz was emotional and depressing together, there may even have been tears...on both sides. The drive back well... I was almost suicidal.
Now a good mate of mine, AP, is visting from Australia and is staying with me for a few days and I promised him we would go ice climbing as he has never done it before. When I got home I wasn’t in the best of moods and didn’t really want to go but hey he’s AP and deserved a day on the ice, so we sorted our gear and went to the nearby area of Reposoir. I won’t go into the climbing but AP was great, conditions were great and we both had fun. But there was something about the day maybe it was the area, the company, the climbing or quite possibly all of it. Something was just clicking, its very hard to put into words but something was soothing me Reposoir is a beautiful place and come the late afternoon we were the only team there. It was totally still, totally quite. The sun was turning the limestone cliffs opposite a lovely colour and the sky was that blue that you can only dream of. It had been so cold there, that huge surface Hoar Crystals on top of the snow, (called White Kryptonite by Jazz when she first saw them) had formed wafer thin and so beautiful, it was quite simply stunning.
As we walked out to the car through the trees I paused and thought of the stress I felt in the morning. Here I was spending a really cool time with a friend in stunning surroundings and I felt a huge weight disappear, it got me thinking... and I thought of the 90’s film Trainspotting and its theme ‘Choose life’. The credit crunch and the stress it brings isn’t really life, real life passes us by with out us knowing, but every know and then, like I did this afternoon we can dip into it. That short dip into real life is enough, just, to allow us to face the horror of the other life we have, the one that is less real, the one that is every day.
Choose Life!
Kenton