Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentines day blog

Perhaps not something you really expect from Dream Guides, we are normally all about the WOW of steep ice of bottomless powder snow, and yes there has been loads of both this year but today was a little different.
After 9 days out of 10 working or playing in the hills today Feb 14th was going to be a catch up day. Guy and Steph headed out to the states for a week of R and R and I'm sure a little romance together, while I had to settle for opening a card from my lovely wife Jazz who is back in the UK. After a morning on the computer tending to outstanding admin the blue sky was too much so I grab my touring kit and headed out to the Point D'Andey.
Its a simple skin up, I found myself in the cloud to start with, water droplets condensed on my Jacket and Bobble hat as I made steady progress up, then suddenly I came out into a brilliant clear blue sky. All around was a sea of cloud, looking west there was nothing apart from the soft duvet like appearance of the cloud rippling off to the horizon, to the south the rolling white mountains appeared like icebergs, while to the east the sharp peaks of the Mont Blanc Range cut their way skyward in defiance of the serene cloud layer that lay below.
As I made my way to the Madonna that stands at the top I could see a couple of folk who where already up there, looking out at the beautiful vista that lay all around them.
When I got up there I was greeted like a long lost son by an elderly couple. As ever I was embarrassed to say that I was English and couldn't speak French, the old gentleman wasn't put off, in fact finding out that I was English he started telling me the names of all the peaks. His wife poured me some hot tea from their battered old flask and we shared some biscuits. Sitting under the protective look of the Madonna, words weren't needed as all three of us soaked up the glory of what lay before us, it was simply stunning, yet totally soothing.
As I prepared to ski down they asked if I could take a photo of them both in front of the Madonna. As I did they embraced and kissed, surrounded by nothing but the beauty of nature.
Before I left the lady plucked one of the sun faded flowers held by the Madonna and presented it too me as a Valentines gift, "keep it safe she said and she will keep you safe" she uttered as she kissed me goodbye.
As I skied down I reflected on the 10minutes I had spent with the couple,who were probably in their mid 60's they had hiked to this spot to share a few precious moments together on this, the most beautiful of Valentines days. To me they oozed love and affection even after a lifetime of being together. I promised myself there and then that I would do everything in the world to be the same with Jazz when we are both getting old and frail, a life times bond that's unbreakable.
Racking my skis on the car, once again back in the cold of the cloud I thought about the 3 things most precious to me.
My beautiful wife Jazzy who I couldn't be with today, My Family and Friends and finally my beloved mountains, the 3 things that really make my life complete.
I managed some of that today...I just hope its enough to keep me going until the next time.
Kenton