Its the morning of May 23rd and the main part of the team left Base Camp yesterday on the trek back to Kathmandu.
The girl of the moment....Bonita....left a couple of days ago with Tom on a Chopper that whisked them straight from BC to Kathmandu, the reason for this was a minor case of Frostbite. Both Tom and Bonita suffered a wee bit of Frost damage to their toes. Now if this had been on the fingers no problem but the 3 day hike to Lukla would have been pretty painful and potential damaging to both their toes and as such we decided to fly them out. Its a shame really as the rest of the team misses them both already.
Trotty, Ali, Rick and myself left BC yesterday and hiked down to Pheriche, as normal I left late and arrived just before dark...DOH
The walk was however lovely, I spent all day on my own and sucked up the thicker air and then as one passes the climbers memorials the smells of life hit you. The nose was overwhelmed by the smell of grass and the swat juniper bushes. After 6weeks with out such smells it is really quite an experience. The temperature was prefect all day and due to my late start there was no one on the trail a prefect time to reflect, it proved, strangly to be one of the nicest days of the expedition
Today we continue our walk down the valley and we hope to Kathmandu before the predicted bad weather that may hold us up in Lukla comes in.
Last night some of our friends made summit attempts on the mountain in what seems to be the last weather window of the year, as yet I have no news but my fingers....and sore toes are crossed form them all
Finally although I walk back from my 8th successful ascent of Everest my good friend Rich runs the Edinburgh Marathon today, now he calls me mad but in my mind running a Marathon from your own free will is completely bonkers. All I can say is thanks for your help Rich and run as if your life depends on it!!!!!
Next post soon....with pictures I hope....all the camera kit is packed away
KC