Monday, August 16, 2010

Si Grayson's 40th Birthday

I first met Si when I was at Leeds Uni way back in 1991. I can't believe that he is now 40, my disbelief is more to do with the fact that I don't want to realise that I'm only a few years off 40 myself. Still it could be worse in so much that Brad who was also with us this weekend is much older than all of us, in fact he seems to think that he can remember dinosaurs....now that is old.

Anyway Si, Barney, Brad and Myself had all got together to relive our youth this weekend and have some fun and do a little climbing. At the end of the day we had heaps of fun, in the way that old friends always can but sadley little climbing was done, not due to those old joints creaking too much but more the rather pants weather. Is that rain said Brad?? No way said Si its my Birthday it can't rain....how wrong he was!!!

Si and Barney did manage to sneak in the Aig Du Index on Saturday (while I missed the day due to a delayed flight). When I finally did catch up with everyone in the bar....the first of many vists to the bar this weekend....there was much talk of daring doings and getting down just before the heavens opened, the bad news was that once opened they never really stopped!!!!

Saturday was spent in Italy (thanks for driving Brad) climbing at Arnad, well not much climbing, (we managed 2 climbs before the rain came) but having a long lunch. Luckly the red wine and fine food at the cafe was slightly better than the chip butties Si is used to in the peak district so he still thought he was having a great time....ha ha what a fool he can be. The Boys after yet another bar stop!!!

Apart from kayaking (which Barney happens to be pretty good at, he is in-fact a coach for team GB) rain is only any good for producing rainbows and boy did we see a great one coming home, and no it was nothing to do with the wine....see the photo to prove it. Today (Monday) was meant to be better for the weather so we arose at 6.30 to find yet more bloody rain, any ideas of going into the hills were squashed, so after a lazy breakfast of coffee, tea and Pain Au Chocolate and more talking crap on the sofa we mounted up and went dry tooling at Le Fayet.

The team did finally have a half decent day climbing and all of us got pretty pumped after just a few laps on some of the routes. The day's award must go to Brad who slipped off near the start of the 2nd route and did a damn fine impression of super man as he flew close to the ground on the rope. Climbing at last....well dry tooling at least

We wanted to climb the Dent Du Geant and ended up dry tooling in the drizzle, but it didn't matter. Its the first time we have all been together in years and years and it was as if we had never been apart. Only with true friend ship can you do this. Last night the banter flowed over a couple of beers while sat in my living room, it could have been Leeds 15 years ago apart from a few grey hairs have crept in. I have only one regret.....we left it so long.

The summer continues here at Dream Guides with a couple more Mont Blanc trips coming up as well as Saas 4000er's. I'm back to the UK tomorrow to see my two Girls before I fly out to Manaslu, the worlds 8th highest peak....so watch this space.

Kenton and team DG