Kenton and I are sharing the permit for Kalanka with two Dutch guys, Mike and Cas. On day one at BC, they built a bog made from large rocks piled in the shape of a big old armchair. The backrest is a huge boulder.
Yesterday, I marched, on a mission after coffee in the morning to the rocky chair for the first time.
Fleece trousers around ankles I attempted to sit on the throne of stone. "It's too BIG…" Easing myself back carefully, I nearly fall into the dark pit. Pumped, triceps burn, arms quiver, I shake with uncontrolled terror. I throw a heel hook onto both stone arms. Straddled. Sweating. Flies buzz. Impossible to squat. Eventually with a left butt cheek rested on an arm and my back pushed into the rough backrest-boulder, I relax. SORTED.
Later that day Kenton and I sit close staring at the massive north face of Kalanka.
Possibilities?
A direct line straight up the middle.
Or
Follow flutings on the left side of the face and hit the ridge half way before climbing that to the summit.
Or
Climb the left hand ridge.
I suppose in the end its like toilets really, not all sizes fit, but hopefully, the end result will be the same.