Monday, August 20, 2007

Kalanka Update

Hi all
Two days of bone crunching, back aching bus journey has seen us finally get to Joshimath. Yesterday we spent 16hrs on the bus stopping only a couple of times for food and cold drinks. We got to our overnight stop in Srinagar at about 8.30pm total spent both Nick and I showered and crashed out despite the heat. This morning we were in the Bus by 6am and we wound our way through the lush green foothills slowly gaining height. The road is pretty bloody exciting with huge drops down to the Ganga River and some huge landslides the bus was going over. Early afternoon saw us in Joshimath, where and we have quickly repacked things into porter loads in time for tomorrows jeep ride to the road head.
  We start the walk in on Wed we hope and should be in BC a few days after that. This will be the last update till BC as all the computer equipment is safely packed away in the barrels. I'm writing this on the slowest of old dial ups in a funky dirty Internet place, the electricity keeps failing so I'm going to sign off before I lose it all.
Enjoy
KC