Friday, May 25, 2007

100% on Everest

Dream Guides has pulled it off. Ben, Torri and Kenton all summitted Everest on the morning of May 24th. This combined with Greg, Omar, and Kenton on May 17th means 100%. It also means that Kenton has pulled off another first. To summit Mount Everest twice in a climbing season, and bag his 5th summit all in one go.

  I (Kenton) write this at base camp on the 25th. Ben and Torri are safe in camp 2 and we expect them back down for a lunchtime beer tomorrow. The ascent was in near prefect conditions and all made great time to the summit where we had amazing views looking down on the world. Ben and Torri descended to camp 4 that night while I dropped to camp 2 with an illness.

  This morning saw the guys manage an epic retreat in high winds down the Lhotse face to camp 2 where they are for the night. Meanwhile I tangled with various collapses in the icefall on my way to BC.

  This was a remarkable effort by all concerned and I must say that I'm very proud of both Ben and Torri on their achievement.