Saturday, May 12, 2007

Green Light on Everest???

 


At last it looks like we will be moving back up the mountain. After many days looking at forecasts, I have decided to climb back up to camp 2. with the team. The forecast is not 100% but its looking like we may have a chance to climb up to the top on the night of May 16 th into the morning of the 17th.

Its been a busy day getting everything together for tomorrow, packing rucksacks and checking over all our equipment. We hope to leave BC at around 5.30am and move steadily through the ice fall up to camp 1 and then onto camp 2. There we will rest a day and again check forecasts before moving any further up the mountain.

The weather today up high was very windy and in BC we woke to a good layer of snow which dampened spirits. This however burnt off during the morning and we were all happy to see blue sky by lunch. The winds cont to howl up high and we can still see snow plumes coming off Lhotse.

All the team are in good health and we are hoping that this weather window stays open for us, for those who haven't been up to the top its all very exciting. Even I have been running round like a school boy happy at last to be moving upwards again.

Once on the hill I can't update until Guy is back from Greenland (May 18th), so please cross your fingers for us all and the next update I hope will bring great news to you all.

I'll leave you today with the quote from the great French Climber and Guide Gaston Rebuffat "passion creates possibility"

Kenton