Everest is the highest mountain in the world. This means there is also a mountain of sitting around. I have been at BC now for 10days resting and waiting for the weather to look good. The team spent some 5days down the valley and all returned 2days ago. The idea of trekking down is two fold. 1 st it's a change of scene and 2nd the thicker air means it's a much better place to rest and recover. All the gang came back looking fighting fit.
I have spent my time trying to sort weather forecasts and helping organise the logistics of getting roped fixed on the mountain. Its an important thing that ropes are fixed before the summit attempts by the teams. The Sherpas will climb high on the mountain and put the rope in place for the teams to then climb up. This makes for a safe and hopefully quick summit climb. This we hope will take place tomorrow and we wait with baited breath to hear the out come of the fixing.
So BC has been an interesting place. Most teams disappeared down valley leaving only a few friendly faces. The time has been spent playing (or in my case losing) at cards, watching a number of DVD's reading (a lot) and generally catching up with old mates. It may sound really boring but to be honest in an age where everything happens yesterday the slowness of BC is very welcome. I find it a great time to reflect on the year gone by and the one coming up. I try to sort out what is a chaotic life and to be honest I fail but its always worth a try.
We have had a number of weather reports in and the look promising. I'm not going to say just yet but stay posted and in the next few days we may see some fun times.
Stay cool
Kenton